The hottest new drink craze, coconut water is taking the healthy world by storm. Many celebrities have replaced many of their diet drinks with the new “natures sports drink” with a bottle or carton of coconut water.
Coconut Water Benefits-
The biggest healthy claim is its rich potassium content; with any typical serving having 569 mg (almost twice as much as a banana), this mineral helps regulate blood pressure by counteracting the stimulating effects of sodium which helps prevent related issues like stroke, heart attack and oddly even hangovers.
Top 10 Health Coconut Water Benefits:
- Coconut water contains high potassium levels, as mentioned above.
- Coconut water is packed with simple sugar, electrolytes, and minerals that balance rehydration levels in the body – quicker that water.
- Coconut water contains minerals like calcium, iron, manganese, magnesium, and zinc.
- It is a very good source of B-complex vitamins such as riboflavin, niacin, thiamin, pyridoxine, and folates.
- Coconut water helps in breaking down and eliminating all forms of kidney and bladder stones, one health benefit that is low cost effective.
- Coconut water benefits the body if taken during feverish conditions- reducing the fever itself.
- It is also known to calm nervous and emotional imbalances.
- Aids in flushing the liver, since it contains lauric acid (a crystalline fatty acid) which gives it anti-microbial properties and makes it suitable for treatment of some liver ailments like hepatitis.
- Coconut water is naturally fat-free, cholesterol free and low in calories. – and has even been known to lower bad cholesterol levels in the body.
- Coconut water calms upset stomachs and reduces vomiting.
Coconut water is the clear liquid inside young coconuts. In early development, it serves as a suspension for the endosperm of the coconut during their nuclear phase of development. As growth continues, the endosperm mature into their cellular phase and deposit into the rind of the coconut meat. Coconut water has long been a popular drink in the tropics, especially in Southeast Asia, Pacific Islands, Africa, and the Caribbean, where it is available fresh, canned, or bottled.
Fresh coconuts for drinking are typically harvested from the tree while they are green. A hole may be bored into the coconut to provide access to the liquid and meat. In young coconuts the liquid and air may be under some pressure and may spray slightly when the inner husk is first penetrated. Coconuts that have fallen to the ground are susceptible to rot and damage from insects or animals. Once the coconuts are older and have turned brown, the liquid inside has matured into coconut milk – higher in calories and cholesterol, and without the many health benefits.
The health, hydration and vitality benefits of coconut water are numerous. So, whether you want to treat a fever, lower cholesterol, flush the liver, take steps to prevent strokes and heart attacks OR get rid of that hangover, (with the fastest hydrator there is), why not try coconut water. It happens to be one of the purest liquids known to man- natures drinks at its best.